Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles

Subject: Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:13:43 -0700
Julian Davies wrote:

ALL digital cameras require an anti - aliasing filter, as do all analogue
cameras.
Where there is sufficient digicam  budget, this will be a flat sheet of glass,
Most often, the anti - aliasing filter is a not - quite - pin - sharp lens.

I have suspected that this is the case. I explains the apparent inconsistency between the common statements that lenses can be too sharp for digital and the succesful use of very sharp lenses on DSLRs

This is essential because once an image is captured with aliasing, there is
NO POSSIBILITY of removing it, since it is indistinguishable from the wanted
signal,

I didn't make such a strong statement both because I don't know the math and because I've been around long enough and know enough about the history of science to know how often the claim "NO POSSIBILITY" has turned out to be wrong. Certainly true today, I'm sure, simply because nobody would be doing it with expensive hardware if a software solution were known.