Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: Regan Conley <reganconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:42:50 -0400
W Shumaker wrote:

This is an important subject for me at the moment. <snip> If you look at a famous photograph, as a photographer, do you wonder how you would have rendered the situation, or even if you could enter into the possibility of that situation and made something of it?

Yet, I think you've done exactly this with one of your shots that does require you to "engage as much of the world of 'others'." Having looked at the gallery late last night, the picture that still stands out in my mind this morning is the circle of children dancing on the beach. This could have been a typical snapshot. You could have tried to take a picture *of the kids* and stopped action so we could see who they were. Instead you made an image of the *sense of the moment.* The beach seems otherwise empty conveying how the kids seem isolated in their joyful moment, and that blur... It took me back instantly to the dizziness of childhood games. A basically neutral background is in sharp focus, and these shocks of color are blurred, which has softened up the image considerably, appropriate for the somewhat innocent moment.