Re: [OM] New E-1 (Effect of pixel size on dynamic range)

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1 (Effect of pixel size on dynamic range)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:02:25 -0400
>Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:50:53 +0800
>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1 (Effect of pixel size on dynamic range)
>
>In dimmer light, using longer exposure and low ISO will put the noise at
>very low level even with the C5050's tiny sensor without noise reduction
>enable.

Yes, I should have included that.  The total number of photons or electrons
accumulated is the product of image intensity and time, just as it is for film.
   Unlike film, CCDs don't really have ISO values.  The "ISO" of a CCD is
basically a mathematical fiction used to allow the f-stop and shutter speed to
be set to achieve a specified average (18%) image brightness.

At 10:07 PM +0000 9/21/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:30:16 -0400
>From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1 (Effect of pixel size on dynamic range)
>
>- --=====================_61689935==.ALT
>
>Don't fancy telescope cool their CCD's to reduce noise?

Yes, to reduce dark current.  This is an important effect, but one unrelated to
the photon/electron statistics I have been talking about.

>I think one of the noise issues with the E-10 was due to how hot it got.

This is certainly plausible, but I don't know if it's true or not.  Dark
current typically doubles for every 10 degrees centigrade of temperature rise,
so it would take a pretty hot chip for this to matter.  More likely was that
the chip wasn't quite as good as it should have been.

Dark noise is just that, and varies with temperature but not with pixel size or
illumination level, and so has the largest effect when one makes long exposures
of dim targets.  Astronomers of course do just that, which is why they always
cool their CCDs with liquid nitrogen.

Joe Gwinn