Re: [OM] Olympus E20N

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E20N
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:17:37 -0700
on 9/21/03 7:21 PM, C.H.Ling-Accura at chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Both E-1 and 10D is system camera, they give you much better flexibility than
> the E-10/20, go for either couldn't be wrong. I hope 6-8 months later Olympus
> will announce a 8MP E-2.
>
> C.H.Ling

The probability that Olympus will release an 8MB E-2 with all new features
is directly proportional to how long it has been since I laid out the cash
for the E-1... <g>.

I suspect that two things will happen in the near (6-12 months) term:

Olympus will release more lenses and a 'prosumer' body (less features and a
lower pricepoint than the E-1) and then Olympus toward the end of the 12
months will release the next-generation E-2 with similar or more features
than the E-1 and probably a higher MP count, also perhaps faster image
processing, lower noise, bigger image buffers, etc.

This will drive the E-1 price down some, but its possible Olympus won't
discontinue it immediately. Witness the OM-1n and OM-2n, available at the
same time... two different bodies with different feature sets, but sharing
the same lens system, along with the OM-10 for the 'prosumer/amateur'
buyers.

While you will still be able to do everything with the E-20 at that time
that you can do with it now, you will probably have more alternative choices
then. Along with probable 4/3 system bodies with Kodak and Fuji names on
them which will also use the new lenses...

Guess its a good thing I don't have the money and *have* to wait...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...