[OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: "Rich" <deepkeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:34:24 -0700
Wayne, do a Google search for Winslow Homer.  The ONLY "coffee table" art
book I've ever bought is a book full of Winslow Homer prints.  He
apprenticed to a lithographer (his only formal training), and began as a b&w
illustrator for magazines.  One of his quotes (wish I could find it) is
something like "black & white (in various gradations) can suggest color."  I
was first drawn to his work because of his maritime paintings, but about
half of it, whatever the theme, just grabs me, and draws me in.

Check out the Wyeths, too.

Whenever I see a scene that is interesting, offers decent composition, with
"magic" or dramatic light, I get excited and shoot film like crazy.  That
constitutes my "art" as I can't draw a rock.  The rest is just pretty much
documenting the world.

I was excited when I shot this scene as the boat motored into view,
providing a subject backlit by that dramatic sunset (the rest of the boats,
racing in no more than a zephyr of wind, are too far away, and nearly
invisible);  I waited, shooting frame after frame of a great sunset, wishing
for SOMETHING, and then this guy left the marina and motored right into that
bright path of sunset.  Ta da!!!:

Today, by contrast, the sun was out, no clouds, just a bunch of fishing
boats way over by the far shore, after salmon.  No drama, no magic light.

One thing I know I can do to get more interesting, "artistic" photos is to
return to the same place, again and again, really get to know the subject,
and be there at the right moment on the right day.  Mt. Rainier, for
example.  I usually drive/hike all over the place in one day, snapping away
at anything and everything.  I'm going to change this routine and go to just
ONE spot and spend the whole day there, observing, waiting, munching
goodies, drinking tea (:-)).... framing the same scene with various lenses.
And if I get lucky... I'll catch her in a special mood.

Yes, Wayne, take more photos.  The digital photographer who made the "how
romantic" comment is a jerk who couldn't discuss art if he had to.  It's not
about the equipment.  The fact that you are on this quest, asking all these
questions about art, tells me you are much further down the artistic road
than he will ever be.  It IS romantic!

Rich