[OM] - 100mm f/2.0 and focus past infinity (plus: links to oly pictures)

Subject: [OM] - 100mm f/2.0 and focus past infinity (plus: links to oly pictures)
From: "Fab Fior " <flowerside@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:26:20 +0100
Hi list!

after the problems experienced with my new (well, "used" :) 18mm f/3.5 (btw:
thanks to all the list members
who promptly cleared my doubts) I found myself facing another annoying problem
with the 100 f/2.0.

I haven't had lot of spare time to test it since its arrival, so yesterday I
decided to do a photo session with
that lens.

Everything seemed okay until I tried to focus to infinity (i.e. objects being
50 or 100 meters far away).
With my greatest surprise, I could focus at such distances but the focusing
mark still sits *before* infinity
on the distance scale, so I can turn the focusing ring even further towards
infinity!

If the distance scale reads "infinity", indeed, those objects standing at 50,
100 or even more meters,
appear no longer focused in the split prism...

I browsed through the list archives and noticed that this seems to be common
with long telephotos
(because such a tolerance is said to be needed to stand physical modifications
inherent when shooting at
very low temperatures), but arouses with wide angles too (I recall a message
regarding a 21mm f/3.5 with
the same problem).

So my question is: can this lens be considered in the same way as long
telephotos, or should I suppose
there's something wrong? In this case, what would be the fault?

Of course, being able to focus *past* infinity wouldn't be a problem as being
unable to focus *to* infinity. The
lens is still perfectly usable, even though I feel "annoyed" (to be polite) by
this peculiarity.

I tested the lens on an OM-4Ti with 2-13 screen on. At home I have an OM-2Sp
with standard 1-13 screen,
but forgot to test the lens with this setup.

Other Zuiko lenses all behave correctly at infinity on the same camera, so I
suppose the problem is not
there...

Any help from your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Ciao

Fabio

PS: Meanwhile, if you have spare time, this is the link to my picture's site [
http://www.contrasti.it/flowerside/foto ] nearly all of them were taken with
Olympus equipment. Any
critique and comment is welcome! :)

Chi ti ha spedito questa e-mail ha 15 MB di spazio, agenda, antispam
professionale. E tu? Crea anche tu il tuo account gratuito su
http://mail.lycos.it !