Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles

Subject: Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles
From: "Danrich" <danrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:03:18 -1000
Holy crap, all I was trying to do is take pictures and you can break it
down to protons, jess!
XDan

> For one thing, it takes from 4 to 40 photons absorbed in a
>certain period of time to render a grain developable, and the
>developed grain has about 10^6 atoms in it, whereas the above
>assumes that a single photon can expose a grain, which isn't
>true and cannot be true.   Why cannot it be true?  Because
>random thermal motion would then expose the film, leading to a
>hopelessly high fog level.  Requiring multiple photons arriving
>within a short period of time sharply reduces the probability
>that thermal motion will randomly expose grains.

In my defence, I would point out that the photons involved are focused
by a lens onto an image receptor (film). By definition, therefore, if
this system is "sharp" and "focused", then all repeats of the two
photons over time MUST pass through the same points of the film.
Therefore we just repeat the example 40 times.

>Nor are film grains ever "gray".  A grain either develops or >not.

So digital photography is not new! You're quite right here, but of
course clumps give the grey - scale.

> Joe Gwinn

This effect may or may not be true. I read it. It made sense to me. I
passed it on. Probably badly and using some of the wrong terminology.
There is an alternative view which may or may not help, and which also
may or may not be "true":