Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: David Cochran <cochran@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:53:19 -0400
on 9/22/03 11:28 PM, John A. Lind at jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> At 11:25 PM 9/20/03, Wayne Shumaker wrote (in part):
>> So I'm caught up in 'what is art?' maybe to figure out if I am doing art
>> or can I see art?
>
> IMHO:
> What separates "art" from whatever the rest can be called is ability of the
> artist to make an "Artist's Statement" about the work.

I think that "the piece" should be the statement it does not have to be
explained. It is good if you have an "intelectual" approach for your art but
sometimes is pure flow and guts.
>If you've been to a
> gallery that features multiple works from a particular artist, there should
> be one on the wall somewhere (it's usually small).  This is an important
> part of the exhibit.

Yes it may be but sometimes that little pice of paper si to make the buyers
with just the buying power and "art is cool" mentality to 'understand'
something they may not need to, just enjoy.
> If you can put into words what it is you're
> trying to do and what it is intended to convey to others, it's "art."

This is like asking a writer to take pictures to "simplify" their writen
"meaning".

> It doesn't have to contain esoteric "deep meaning," abstractions or a high
> level of intellectual complexity; it can be straightforward, very simple
> and direct too.  Following is one I wrote just this week:

I bet the "audience" finds it very "meaningful" but wait until they see the
other small paper by the picture with the $$$ philosophical statement. I bet
you some may immediately forget what was the meaning of that particular
picture.

IMHO...

david