Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography - C-5050 comments

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography - C-5050 comments
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:34:21 -0400
One of my replies to the New E-1 thread was a comment on
longer focal length macro lenses. It was:
Not that this is a great example, but here are two shots for
comparison. This one with 180 + extension + 1.4x. The lens was about
18-24 inches from the wintergreen flowers.

http://www.zuik.net/om/rp3_8_22_03_vs14a_rd.jpg

This same shot was taken with the C-5050 was a few inches from the
flowers.

http://www.zuik.net/om/P8201848rd.jpg

Here I was directly trying to compare the two camera approaches.
Although you don't get good working distance, the focal length
is 56mm in macro mode, you can fit the camera into tight spaces.
You can also use the little remote to fire off a shot, so simple tripod
works fine. The main limit is the 35-105mm equivalent focal length.
I have a telephoto adapter to get to 135mm equivalent, which I often
use, and the 28mm equivalent adapter, which is huge and hardly use.
Both the adapters are a makeshift to having a real lens. Still 35-105
is the majority of my photos.

Although you can get close macro, getting the focus where you want
is difficult. I prefer the OM4t with nature in general because I like
to control the focus point, and nothing beats the OM viewfinder. That
said, the C-5050 LCD flips out. I find the C-5050 for people works
because the camera is very non-intrusive and quiet. I turn off most
of the features, no AF assist, no flash, no continuous AF, no sound, etc.
I also keep the CLA-1 adapter ring on all the time, which protects the
barrel and people cannot tell when I turn the camera on.

One very annoying thing is, if you turn it on with the lens cap on, it
will start beeping very loudly. Even if you quickly shut it off, it will still
go through its procedure before figuring out you shut it off. The CLA-1
extension + the 41-43 step up ring allows you to turn the camera on
with the lens cap in place, no beeping.

The C-5050 is rugged, except for the battery door, which hangs by
a very small amount of plastic. I have a wimberly plate attached most
of the time, which holds the battery door closed, but also has to be
removed to change the batteries. Good thing it gets great battery life.
(I've already busted the tiny plastic clip on mine, so the plate I need).

If you don't have a digicam yet, this is a nice introductory camera,
lot's of control, 8x10 pictures, you can actually think photographically
with it: f-stops, compensation, flash control. I also bought the FL-40
flash. If you are going for the E-1, don't get this flash. One problem
with the FL40 is it also contains an AF assist light, and the only way
to shut it off is to switch to manual focus. I guess it is pretty standard
now for flashes to fire twice - first a pre-fire then main fire. With
slow sync 2nd curtain flash, the pre-fire will confuse people into
thinking the picture has already been taken. It would be nice if the
camera flash could live without the pre-fire flashing.

So main things for nature, the C-5050 with remote has possibilities,
macro in tight spaces, very portable, hard to do manual focus, OM
viewfinder is really nice, telephoto and wide angle limited. Otherwise
the 5050 is a camera, used correctly can certainly take nature shots.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the best noise performance is ISO 64.
ISO 400 is pretty noisy. So you have to use a tripod, while there is
no vibration to speak of, you will be lulled into shooting handheld.
I highly recommend the little olympus tripod with flexible legs, $10 at
B&H. Even though I get laughed at when it is compared to a big Gitzo
with honking telephoto mounted, that little thing gets the camera into
tight places, braces against most things.

here is another nature shot from the 5050 for you (green darner):

http://www.zuik.net/om/P8221917rd.jpg

reduced in size for web space.

Wayne