Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles

Subject: Re: [OM] Nope, It missed it by few hundred miles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:35:29 -0700
Boris Grigorov wrote:

Sorry list,
I have to admit that I have missed the boat by a million miles.
Olympus was just following the market.  Judging by your opinions and how this
somehow turned to be about pixels AND NOT creative photography, and tools for
creative photography, it is obvious that no one would put even a small effort
in developing a camera that would help true artists brake away from what
everyone else has done (but they have manufactured a tool that you can make
money with...)

As I just said very longwindedly, it's not so one sided and not a predjudice. In my old business, the profit on marginal sales was at least 4 times the average profit on all sales (yup. add 10% to sales and add 40+% to the bottom line. I'll bet it's greater than that in the high end camera business. They WANT your business. The only reason they would turn it away is if they can't get it and make enough money on it to justify the investment. Even if it only cost 1 Yen, no maker would add a filter that increases unit costs and decreases the potential market.

In order to accomodate artists who want one kind of tool, and are in the majority, they have to make the tool less useful for another kind of artist. They want to accomodate as many users as possible, but sometimes, the limits of technology don't allow it. Remember, we are at the beginning of digital photography. The tools for the minority uses will show up as the technology and market mature. Right now, it's a battle for survival, to see who the 2-3 major players will be. Everybody has to get some sales and the profits to continue development and get people under their system tent to enlarge the market for the future products they develop.

They don't dislike you and wish to make your artistic life more difficult. They do want to be in business making camera equipment in 5 years.

Moose