Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:13:15 -0700
IM differing HO

Da Vinci never made a statement about the Mona Lisa. the very enigmatic quality is part of the reason for its stature. He made many paintings on Christian themes on commission. He was clearly not a Christian, and these paintings contain lots of references that a real Christian would not have put in. Nonetheless, many of them are considered great masterpieces. I make no judgment about Da Vinci or his works, only that much great art either has no "artist's statement", capitalized or not, and a fair amount has artist stated material about it that is either no longer meaningful outside of its milieu or outright contradictory to what most others see in the art, but the art lives on because of its own intrinsic qualities.

I recently went to an exhibit of medieval Italian illuminated manuscripts. All were certainly works of art, and most were stunning works of craftsmanship as well. All were meant (artists purpose) to convey catholic spiritual themes and, more specifically, to illustrate and amplify the text and/or music on the pages they adorned. I am very far removed in time, knowledge, spiritual state, etc. from the origins of these works and several of them had been excised from the original pages, so there was no context at all outside their borders. And yet, 2 or 3, and one especially, spoke to me directly, such that I was not the same after viewing it as I was before. There are certainly pieces of 'art' (that's not what the creators understood it to be) from precivilized cultures that stand out as having the special quality of affect on the viewer where little or nothing is known of the maker or his/her culture.

Nothing wrong with Artists Statements, but they are not a meaningful way to distinguish art from anything else. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is no consistently meaningful way to do so. Such a statement simply becomes part of the work of art as a whole, modifying it in the process. One can, of course, argue about this forever, and artists, philosophers and many others have done so and will continue to do so.

I'm aware of the part these things play in judged competitions. I started to read your statement. It looks fine, well written and informative, but I started losing interest pretty soon. I want to see for myself how I react to a photograph, without being told how to process and understand it. Then, if the subject interests me apart from the image of it, I would be interested in reading more about the subject. I'm not commenting on your photographic or writing skills, just on the idea that a statement of purpose is a necessary part of a piece of art or can in any way distinguish between art and anything else. (Don't get me wrong, I think you are a very talented photographerand enjoy seeing your work. Your documentary photos of the glass works are first rate. I don't recall seeing the artistic ones??)

Moose

John A. Lind wrote:

Wayne,