Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:33:29 +0100
John,
For the first time ever, I find myself in disagreement with you.
For me, an artists statement is what is required when the work doesn't speak
for itself. In the case of your work, I don't feel the need for a statement.
your work is good. It speaks for itself. It suffices to know what culture
the artist is from, and something of that culture, simply to provide some
context.
Personally, I make "artists statements" every time I get a "what did you
take this one for" from my better half.
When I read your posting, I thought immediately of blank canvasses, piles of
bricks, canvasses with a random splodge of paint on them and randomly
assembled animal cadavers. All of these have required an "artists
statement", since they are incapable of being valued without one. Add to
that "music" which is the absence of performance - "x minutes off silence"
or whatever it's called.
The great art requires none of this. One can appreciate it more by knowing
more, but its fundamental value should leap at you
There is evidently a difference between 'art' photography and
'environmental' or 'reportage' photography. The photographer need not make
that distinction. In other artistic media, it may well be that the
requirement (now sadly diminishing) to master some quite difficult basic
recording techniques (no evaluative metering or autofocus!) leads to a more
relaxed definition of art - "he can paint - he must be an artist", and blur
the boundaries somewhat, but we have masters of all schools of art who
provide the touchstone.

And I still really like your photographs.

Julian