Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:03:57 -0500
At 09:19 AM 9/23/03, Wayne wrote (in part):
John,
[snip]
Quoting from the article:

     About painting, he underscores that having technique, or a visual
  language, is only the beginning. A painter, most importantly, must
  decide what he or she wants to say. "It is not often that you find an
  artist strong enough to expand beyond the standard language and
  develop a personal style," he comments. "You don't become a painter
  to be a painter, but to develop a language to communicate the things
  that move you."

So maybe what you are saying about having an artist's statement is that there is a statement being made by the work itself, which is the more important thing. For instance, just looking at your Kokomo shots, it is clear that you wanted to capture the feel of the place and its dynamic environment. Being able to articulate it probably helps.
[snip]
So the real art in 'art' is finding what one wants to express. I think I got it. I think I'm a competent enough technical photographer, the challenge is finding a direction to go with it.
[snip]

Yes, you've got it! The most important reason to make an artist's statement is for the artist himself . . . *before* creating the art. Inability to define (or choosing not to define) what is to be accomplished beforehand results in aimless wandering. Anything of "artistic value" that results is by accident rather than by design. After I began defining first what the photographs should communicate to others, decisions about composition and other aspects of technical execution became much easier. It's what I've posted here and elsewhere a number of times in one form or another . . . ask yourself first what it is you want to portray and for whom, answer your own question(s), *then* decide how to accomplish it.

Nobody will give you an assignment; that must come from within. Think about something you think is visually interesting, then consciously distill out what it is that makes it visually interesting (at least to you). It may be easy for some things and very difficult for others. Once you are able to articulate that, then begin planning how you will celebrate it with one or more photographs. Ansel Adams called this "visualizing" . . . the act of imagining first what the finished photograph will look like before setting about making it. There are times when this occurs for me in milliseconds; there are other times when it must be deliberated periodically for weeks or months.

Publicly posting an artist's statement with a body of related works demonstrates to others educated and knowledgeable about art there was consideration beforehand regarding what it is intended to communicate in *general* terms about the body as a whole. Some people may be cynical about such statements, and indeed poke fun of them with parodies for singular works that remind me of pshyco-babble on the back of 1960's record album jackets. However, making a straightforward statement entails risk, and the artist who does so must have confidence in his works. They will be viewed and judged by other artists (his peers) and people knowledgeable about art against the content of the statement. On that basis, they will either succeed or fail. The risk is utter failure if the body of work is weak . . . much more so than without a statement. In addition, let there be no doubt a statement that reeks of pretentious wishy-washy psycho-babble fools few, but makes a fool of the "artist-pretender." When going to see other artists' shows, I view the body of works, then read the statement about them, and then view the works a second time. The evaluation I make during the second viewing looks critically at how well the works live up to what the artist stated they are intended to accomplish.

BTW, I do not make written statements about individual works, only bodies of related ones. The TOPE entries are an exception, but they center around equipment used and background information about the subject material. Singular works are left to stand on their own without one; at most, the title is usually a hint about what I was thinking when it was made.

-- John