Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system

Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
From: Alexander Schrieken <alx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:06:24 +0200
Cc: zuiko@xxxxx
Hi iwert,

Thanks for your reply.

> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:52:43 +0200
> From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
>
> on 22-09-2003 16:25, Alexander Schrieken at
> alx@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

> > Rather than taking a series of photographs
> > covering the full 360 degrees of the panorama and
> > stiching those together using the appropriate
> > software, I decided to go with the EyeSee 360.

[snip]

> > Since I am not yet ready to buy a new (digital)
> > camera I want to use this device with my OM-F
> > (OM-30) and zuiko lenses. Sadly however, my first
> > efforts haven't brought the desired results...
>
> > Alexander
> > the Netherlands
>
> You could also buy a zuiko 8mm f2.8:)
> cheaper than the EyeSee 360?

Would be a possibility, but then I'd still need
multiple shots to get a full 360 image. The
beauty of the EyeSee device is that it only
requires a single shot in combination with special
'unwarping' software...

> But for the eyesee you could try the 135mm f4.5
> macro, or maybe also a 90 macro... It goes up
> until f45 for a huge DOF,

The 135 mm would probably not work because the
focal length produces only 0.8 inches field depth
(maximum distance to subject (18 inches), f=32).

> but you probably also need something to keep
> the Eyesee very fixed at the fixed distance. at
> f45 exposure times will be long so any
> vibration has effect on sharpness, I also
> recommend 50 asa film for as minimal grain as
> possible.

I'm using a tripod, and the camera is mounted
onto the EyeSee device with a special bracket. It
looks quite sturdy, but I should probably operate
the shutter remotely (rather than by hand, as I
am doing now). Eventhough I used the timer, the
whole construction might still have moved during
exposure.

Talking about long exposure times... my OM-F
(OM-30) only goes as far as 1 second. Beyond that
it's all manual. Is there a way to PROGRAM longer
exposures using the manual setting? (Or can I
only achieve those long exposures by using a
(stop)watch -- by hand?)

> If you are not too far from Maastricht, you can
> come and visit me and use my 135 macro...

First I'll try to get to grips with it by asking
around, if it comes down to experimenting with
different lenses I might take you up on that
offer ;-) I'm in Amsterdam.

Regards,

Alexander
the Netherlands