Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system

Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
From: Alexander Schrieken <alx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:23:01 +0200
Cc: skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx
Hi Skip,

Thanks for replying to my posting!

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:51:28 -0500
> From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
>
> The one-shot methods are interesting, but IMO
> fall down when you have to print the image.  The
> conical mirror introduces distortions that can't
> be corrected.

When you have to output to paper the results are
indeed less than desirable. For creating
interactive (QuickTime VR) panorama's however,
the quality should be adequate. The distortions
are corrected by special 'unwarping' software,
which performs quite well.

> I believe that the best way to do 360 degree
> panoramas is still to stitch individual pictures
> together.  That is since I don't have $11,000 for
> a Roundshot camera.

Yeah, for better quality stitching individual
pics together would be a better way to go -- for
financially challenged people like us, anyway.
This does introduce complexities with regards to
(different) lighting for individual pictures
however. Possibly requiring extensive
post-processing.

> I use PTGUI (www.ptgui.com for $40) with
> PanoTools (free), which is still one of the top
> package combinations for stitching.  There's a
> good list of Panorama Tools related links on this
> page:
>
> http://www.skipwilliams.adahost.com/local/panorama_links.htm.
>
> PanoGuide (www.panoguide.com) has good
> references, but I don't know how up-to-date it is.
>
> www.panoramas.dk has a good gallery of panoramas.

Nice site/links, thanx. (I had found <www.panoguide.com>
already ;-)

[snip]