Re: [OM] Scanning Advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Advice needed
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:36:28 +0100
Hi Jon,

My main scan tip is this - scan in the negative/slide at the optical resolution of the scanner. If the true optical resolution of the scanner is 3200dpi, then scan at that. Scanning at any other resolution is really just scanning at the full resolution and then up/downsampling. You might as well do that yourself later.

Second, I think the 72dpi claim is wide of the mark. Once you've scanned an image, the resolution you scanned it at is irrelevant, you just have an image x pixels by y pixels. You can then resize it to fit the screen. This is much better than scanning to get a monitor-sized image in the first place. Try the two side by side - you should find that scanning at full res then resampling gives you a way sharper image than scanning to get a smaller image originally.

Number of bits - my scanner can do 36 bit colour but I always scan at 24 bit. Seems good enough for my purposes, and it also keeps the file sizes managable.

Other scanner settings - I played with the gamma settings for each colour channel on my scanner to correct a green cast it originally gave my scans, and to give me brighter scans than it originally did, but colour, sharpening, contrast etc I do myself later. I don't reckon scanners ever do a better job with their own software than you can do in a proper image editing program.

I tend to scan essentially all my photos, archive them onto CD and then process the best ones for web use. I scan at full resolution (2700dpi in my case), 24 bit colour, and save as TIFFs with LZW compression - that way I fit about one roll of film onto a CD. I also resize the images to 700px wide and save as JPGs on my hard drive, so I can easily look through them. Sounds similar to what you intend to do and I find it works very well - quick access and viewing on the hard drive and then easy retrieval of the full res images when I need them.

Hope that's helpful,

Roger

Jon Mitchell wrote:

Hi Guys,

Well I bought an "Espon Perfection 3200 Photo" scanner the other day and I
am rather pleased with it at the moment.  It's a flatbed, with the light in
the lid so you can scan slides & negs, etc as well.

But, I need a little advice from the members of the list who are infinitely
more experienced than I.

Basically, I am faced with too many choices when scanning.  I need to know
what you would recommend, as far as the settings are concerned, for various
types of scan.