Re: [OM] Agfa chromes

Subject: Re: [OM] Agfa chromes
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:06:12 -0300
Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I, too, shot a lot of Agfachrome in the sixties and seventies, when it was
> their proprietary process, CT18, I think. At that time, the only
> alternatives were Kodachrome and Ektachrome X. I used some K25, but I
didn't
> like Kodachrome 64 much (too much magenta shift then, and now), and
> Ektachrome X went really blue. The Agfa had a pleasing warmth, but not a
> hint of red or magenta. It had to be mailed to Agfa, and they used the
> dreaded paper mounts, but didn't scratch and water spot like Kodak.

The colour balance of my earliest K25 and K64 slides from the mid 1960s is
as good today as it was when they were processed. I have some Agfa chromes
from the same period  and the colour balance has shifted wildly towards
magenta and blue and some have lost upwards of 800f their colour across
the board. Some artificial light Ektachromes from the early 1970s are, like
their K25 cousins, as good as they were when first processed. Leading the
pack for loss of colour, colour shift and fading are a few remaining Perutz
slides I have from the 1960s. All the slides have been stored in light proof
containers away from dampness.

John Hudson