Re: [OM] The times they are a changin...

Subject: Re: [OM] The times they are a changin...
From: Mike Ferguson <mikeferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:04:47 +0100
On 25/9/03 10:44 pm, "whunter" <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IMO:  film will be here for our lifetimes and in specialized forms for
> generations to come.

My recent renewal of interest in the whole art of photography (during which
I have bored the list with lists of my new acquisitions) led me the other
weekend to my local camera shop in search of some darkroom chemicals.  Now
this is a 'proper' camera shop, a one-off with a selection of second hand
35mm stuff (a few years ago it was in the window, now it has been displaced
by digital stuff - largely Olympus - to a dusty cabinet at the back of the
shop).

And which stopped selling photographic chemical THREE YEARS ago...

Leaves me unsure whether the times are a changin' or whether they already
have.  It makes me a little sad to think that future generations might miss
out on the sheer wonderment of undoing a developing spool with a dry mouth
and beating heart to be greeting by a set of perfectly developed negatives.
Which you did yourself.  There's a tactility to that which no digital camera
can ever replace.

Though I'll confess that the enlarger has been replaced by a Mac, Photoshop
and a Dimage II...