[OM] Re: ( OM ) OT exodus from America ?

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT exodus from America ?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:15:59 +1200
Hi all,

AG wrote

> Hmm.  My wife has been suggesting to me that we should move to
> New Zealand.  You think that it is much different than Iowa?
>
> AG-Schnozz

It's interesting, during the last 3 - 4 or more years there's been a
significant
influx of North Americans to NZ. And it has not always been appreciated as
the wealthy ones buy up prime real estate in very nice spots, distort prices,
and stuff up the market for locals.

Well, what can I say. NZ is definitely different from the USA and Canada.
Scenery, climate, people, history, culture, politics, geomorphology, values.

Trying to be as neutral as I can;

Get in contact with and talk to people from your own culture who have spent
time here. Especially those who have lived here. Talk off-line to, for example,
Dan and Mickey.  But try to find people who spent a longer time here - those
who stayed and those who did not.  This is not America here, and despite a
perception some have, is not Paradise either (though I'd not want to live
anywhere else - but that is probably inertia now !! ).

Get some books on the place. ( I may be able to suggest titles)  Maybe
subscribe to a NZ newspaper for a while.

When you have some idea of what's involved, visit for a few weeks.

If you have ideas of immigrating, find out the rules. It is no longer all that
easy.

If I can help, you know where to come to ask.

Brian