[OM] SFX, was can't help myself

Subject: [OM] SFX, was can't help myself
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:40:46 +0100
Hello Doro

That would still be a railway station in English (as opposed to modern ''Murican"), but the trains are goods trains - a literal translation from Güterbahn I would guess.

SFX is a monochrome film from Ilford that has extended sensitivity to red (up to 740nm it says on the packet). But to obtain this near IR effect you have to use a red filter. Roger Hicks, in his book "Perfect Exposure" recommends a variety of red filters, but one of them is a Hoya 25A. When I used SFX in my OM1N some years ago, the results were very pleasing, but I used it only as a monochrome film - I did not know that I had to use a filter to obtain the effect.

I have not developed my films from my recent sojourn in Spain yet (I used SFX in my Bronica RF645 to take advantage of the blue skies as I was effectively operating at 50 or 100 EI), so I don't know how it will come out.

... and I cannot develop my films because we are in the middle of having our spare kitchen refurbished; once I have finished that I can put my darkroom up again. It goes on ....

Chris