[OM] old film, chromogenic film

Subject: [OM] old film, chromogenic film
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:13:20 -0500
First, I hate to disagree with the eminent John Hicks, but I simply don't
but the stop a year statement. If the film were stored in the trunk of a car
in Nevada, perhaps, but under reasonable conditions? If you kept the film
frozen, there should be no change in the first year, and probably not 4 or 5
after the date. Refrigerated, much the same. Kept in a kitchen drawer in a
normal house, I'll bet you would have to use scientific means to determine
the speed loss. A good yardstick is the article Ctein did in PhotoTechniques
a few years ago about color film and heat. He subjected color negative film
to extreme heat for extended periods, and found little or no change!

There is one use for XP2. Although I'm not a fan of chromogenic film, if you
are shooting a scene where there are lots of highlights, that's the ticket.
It's almost impossible to vlow out highlights with that film.

I thought ALL Kodak chromogenics included the orange mask. That's what makes
printing on color paper easier, and printing on B&W paper nearly impossible.

Bill Pearce