Re: [OM] Free film from Kodak

Subject: Re: [OM] Free film from Kodak
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:26:42 -0700 (PDT)
>Kodak then released essentially the same emulsion with a
>slightly different orange mask for consumers called Black and
>White Plus 400 about a year or so later, along with the same
>thing under a slightly different name for APS.  The release of
>a B&W chromogenic under the Portra umbrella was relatively
>recent after several years of marketing them as T400CN and the
>consumer version.  All of these are essentially the same film.

They are, but they aren't.  The response curves vary a bit
between the films.  The Portra version tends to be a bit better
in the skin-tone department than the others.  Portra doesn't
have the extreme "latitude" of the others either (better tonal
seperations because the shoulder is shorter).

Frankly, I find the Kodak versions to be very inferior to Ilford
XP-2.  Skin-tones of Portra BW are better, but that's it.

Folks, it is really hard to beat TMAX 100 or Delta 100/400.
These films, with the proper developers, are the best of the
best.

But if you must shoot a C41 based monochrome film, I'd give the
nod to Ilford XP-2 for printing on conventional BW paper.  If
you want a good "BW" film for portrait/wedding work, I'd shoot
Portra.  Kodak's other BW-C41 films are nasty to work with in
the darkroom.

Very nasty!

Double the cost of reprints nasty!

AG-Schnozz