Re: [OM] old film, chromogenic film

Subject: Re: [OM] old film, chromogenic film
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
>Absolutely no problems here printing XP2 on B&W paper.  Only
>slight issue was finding any grain to focus on... !  Otherwise
>wonderful results.  And it had the orangey (sepia-ish ?) shift
>on the prints from C41 process.

If XP2's base isn't a nice light purple (slightly darker than
regular BW films) you will want to rewash the negs.  Often
times, the C41 processors don't wash the negs long enough to
clear out the base.  Something about a dye used as a
anti-halation layer or something.  Don't quote me on this.  But
anyway, I have taken several types of C41 film (Kodak and
Ilford) and soaked them for a few minutes and cleared out about
a stop worth of base density.

I've heard of XP2's base being different colors than purple.  I
wonder if it has to do with variations in chemistry in the C41
process.  All of them I've seen were about the same.

XP2 is actually quite a bit easier to focus under the enlarger
than the other C41 films.  The dye-clouds in Kodak's are
impossible to find anything "grainy" to focus on and if you do,
it might be the back side of the negative.  Kinda like Pan-F in
that characteristic.  XP2 is much easier to focus with because
the contrast range is greater than that of the Kodak films which
have a very thin DMAX and dark base.

Enlarging a 35mm Kodak Select BW negative up to 11x14 is pretty
rough because the contrast is so flat.  It is tough to find
anything to focus on.  Fortunately, my timer kills the safelight
during focus/exposure operations.  I always had to turn the
safelight off to get enough light on the easel to crop/focus.

After an hour or two of darkroom time with C41 negs, I have to
grab something else to make a print of.  I might contact print a
4x5 Delta 100 neg or something just to keep insanity in check.

AG-they're coming to take me away-Schnozz

haha-hehe-hoho