Re: [OM] sticky DOF preview

Subject: Re: [OM] sticky DOF preview
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:10:30 -0400
Cc: <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mark et al.,
I fixed the 50 f1.8 that I gave to one of my brothers years ago.  Although I
didn't have your directions at the time, I remembered
that someone on the list said that this is a Do-It-Yourself job and you were
right.  On his lens all I had to do was remove the
mount, carefully clean everything and reassemble.  The button/lever had jammed
down, wedging a piece of spring steel, which shoved
the button/lever slightly sideways.  There was a bit of pocket fuzz in there
too.  I cleaned it up, let it dry, closely inspected it
with a gooseneck lamp and a halogen bulb, picked out the lint, and reassembled.

I disassembled lens in a white plastic tray (to hold loose parts) as John H.
has described.  Mine was the sandwich tray from a mini
cooler.

It was easy and kinda fun.

Then I took the stainless steel mount off the front of the OM-PC.  I had the
camera lying on its back so when I lifted the mount
free, the detent ball sat in place.

I removed the shutter speed ring (which isn't aluminum- it's very thin
plastic).  I cleaned it up a bit, especially the ball.  As
someone (John Lind?) suggested, I put a speck of lubricant on it,
double-checked for lint and reassembled.  Both jobs were easy.

I wish you guys had been around 25 years ago when the meter died on my 4 year
old OM-1. Not knowing what I know now, I blundered
into removing the TOP plate and converted a nearly perfect camera into a basket
case.  Anyway, thanks to all.

Lama

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Mike wrote:
> > I just noticed that one of my lenses has a sticky DOF preview mechanism.
> > <> When I push the DOF preview the lens stays stopped
down until I bump the

From: "Mark Dapoz" <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> It's likely the levers in the mount are
saturated with oil/grease which has