Re: [OM] Repro ratios, was Fame at last - perhaps ;-)

Subject: Re: [OM] Repro ratios, was Fame at last - perhaps ;-)
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:51:05 -0300
on 9/10/2003 04:56, Jon Mitchell at jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Hi Mike,
>>
>>> cut a slot and used a thumb screw.
>> How would you describe or translate 'thumb screw' ?
>
> Two rather different things here !!  One type of "Thumb-Screw" was an old
> instrument of torture, I believe.  Basically it involved painfully damaging
> someone's thumbs (or fingers).  It's only 0845 am here and already there are
> a few people I think are worthy of this treatment.  I'm having a bad day
> already !!!  (There's an old expression that gets used on this side of the
> pond which goes something like "putting on the thumb-screws" meaning to
> apply pressure to someone, to make them do what you want).
Oh you European people still using medieval expressions ;-))
It's 07:35 here and I'm having a bad day since Monday. It's getting worse
today since I'll have to work 24 hs. at a mental hospital. Done for 15 years
now and my own screws are fortunately still well tightened.

> The type I believe (hope !) Mike is referring to is kind of like a bolt or
> screw, but with a knurled finger-grip rather than a spanner-head or
> screw-head (thus you can tighten it by hand without the use of a spanner or
> screwdriver).  Best example of this is the "thumb-screw" used to attach the
> motor-drives / winders to your OM's.
Now Mike, Les (offlist) and you had left me wondering where do I buy such a
sophisticated screw.

> Hope that helps.  Sorry for the somewhat violent nature of the message !!
> It's relieved some stress at this end anyway !!

Thanks Jon, I started this awful Thursday laughing :-)))

Fernando.