Re: [OM] Demise of a Landmark

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of a Landmark
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:51:26 +0100
I believe some are still used for natural gas, to meet unusually 'peaky'
local demand.  There are some not far away which seem to move, and we are
definitely not using "town gas".

Others have been kept for heritage reasons, as was already mentioned.

And the entrance foyer to the Tate Gallery at St Ives in Cornwall is
circular in plan.  Beause it is built on the site of a "gasometer".

Piers

OM-content (of course, I wouldn't have posted otherwise!) - some 17mm shots
I took inside that foyer this summer were rather attractive - but it was
difficult to cope with the range of light levels between bright sunshine
outside, and art gallery subdued light inside.