Re: [OM] ( OM) OT ? Solid cat 600mm Viv Ser one

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM) OT ? Solid cat 600mm Viv Ser one
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:42:26 -0700
The Viv*tar Series 1 T-mounts are nicer than any others I've seen. The
one in the auction is the rotating version which I've never seen. (I
believe someone on the list has one of the rotating versions.) Probably
most people who get the rotating one keep it even if they sell the lens.
The non-rotating S1 T-mounts I've seen on yaBe have sold for
approximately $20.

The biggest problems I've found with mirror lenses is that they are very
difficult to focus. The problem seems to be strictly related to max
aperture for me. The Cel*stron 750mm f6 I've got is much easier than
either the Zuiko 500mm f8, Viv*tar S1 600mm f8, or Viv*tar S1 800mm f11.
I find I'm much more likely to take either a Tamr*n 400 f4 or Zuiko 400
f6.3 with a 1.4x teleconverter  than the mirror lenses. (I'm still not
ready to sell the slow mirror lenses though).

If I could find a good way to focus the Viv*tar 800mm f11, I would take
it with me a lot! The tiny size makes it very easy to bring with. The
small size doesn't seem to make it any more stable on a tripod though.
Long focal lengths emphasize vibration.

I've heard mixed things about the rarer Viv*tar S1 450mm f4.5. It's
probably a pretty good lens with a collectors price tag. The cult lenses
are generally supposed to be lesser known lenses which work very well
for their price. The price to performance hasn't been very favorable for
the S1 450mm according to the one or two people I've talked to that have
used it. S*gma also makes a couple fast mirror lenses which I know even
less about. Ad*rama has their 500mm f4 but with a price tag of $1,024
(used) someone else is going to have to test it.

-jeff