Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses - fact or hype?

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 lenses resolution vs. conventional lenses - fact or hype?
From: "Daniel Sepke" <fred42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:32:59 -0400
> > For that matter, is there *any* corporation that shows evidence of that
> > sense any more? Perhaps small businesses...
> >
> > --
> > les clark / edgewater, nj / usa
>
> Les, its all business. About the closest you'll see to this sort of
> 'heritage customer service' thinking is a decision to keep spare parts
> available longer than is 'usual' in business (where the minimal inventory
> costs will make the decision).  As a big business with profits to make and
> report and shareholders and Wall Street to satisfy, I don't think you'll
see
> Olympus selling -anything- that can't be reported as profitable (unless
its
> for some market-penetration reason).
>
> For a long time Honda motorcycle parts have been available, new, from
Honda,
> for motorcycles 30 years old and even older... The availability has been
> reduced in the last couple years, but its still much better than for old
GM
> cars, for instance. The legend is that Mr. Honda (RIP) wanted it that way,
> so it was that way, at least while he was alive.
> --
>
> Jim Brokaw
> OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

The best example of a company keeping parts is the Bristol Car manufacturer.
I belive they have stock of parts for all the cars they have made going back
to the 40's at least. Due to their size they have the skill to
re-manufactuer any part you might need in addition. But I guess you also
have to take in account their output of a handful of cars a year, and wait
times measured in years...

Dan.