[OM] OT Photoshop question

Subject: [OM] OT Photoshop question
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:55:14 -0400
Here's a pretty good trick for burning in PS: make a new layer, mode
overlay, and click on the "Fill with overlay-neutral color." Then use a
feathered brush to do your burning on that layer rather than the one with
the image. I have found this to be dramatically more subtle than burning
right on the image layer itself. For larger areas, like a blown out sky over
a landscape, a combination of this technique and a copy or two of the image
layer itself works pretty well, too.

In other words, make a couple of copies of your image layer. Working on the
top one, use your curves and the overlay trick or levels (whatever works
given the area size, amount of adjustment needed, etc.) to get the skies to
where you'd like them to be. Select and delete (with some feathering) the
bottom half of the image, much like a hard edged graduated neutral density
filter would do, but cut off above the tree line, not below it; so you're
back to the blown out sky for a bit above your tree line. Now work in your
middle layer (top is hard adjustments on blowouts, bottom is your unaltered
primary layer). Here you use the overlay layer and burn a nice soft
transition into the third, bottom layer.

Matthew Born