Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:09:31 +1000

Of the 20+ lenses I own, I have only one that has a mark on the front lens.
That was a 100/2.8 Zuiko that had a very light and small scuff that wasn't
revealed by the epay seller until after I had won the auction. I usually
avoid any advertised with marks or scratches, and especially fungus, even if
very small. But based on the performance of this100mm, they probably
represent bargains. I think marks on the front of a lens probably affects
the price a lot more than its ability to take pictures.

Wayne

I once had a 28/2.8 that had a deep, radial 5mm scratch about 10mm in from the edge. For this reason, it was very cheap. It returned really excellent results even before I took the precaution of using a hood and filter, and a little black pen in the scratch. A friend had an old Bronica S with two Nikkor standard lenses (80mm?) The older one with the nasty scratch on the front element was MUCH sharper. Marked lenses can be great bargains as users if you can get over the perceived need for perfection and the reduced resale value.
AndrewF