Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here
From: Regan Conley <reganconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:23:05 -0400
Moose wrote:

I won't touch anything with something like '"light polish marks" on the front element' in the description. I'm sure a lot of potential buyers would pass this one by, leading to a lower price. Wild price variation being unusual or worth comment would only be for comparable items.

Well, I think the seller was honest that its in "bargain" condition. And I was considering the price I paid as a comparison to other lenses in the same condition. KEH is selling the same lens in "bargain" condition right now for $59 w/o a case. My original point of course was that if the lens I bought turns out to be uglier than expected (hoped?), then its only an average selling price.

never spend more money than you'd be willing to lose.

Then I wouldn't have my mint- $520 18/3.5 from Australia <snip> Of course, if you buy things like the one you describe, your theory makes perfect sense.

I just don't think that even if I had $500 to spend on a lens in mint condition, that I'd be willing to risk that sort of money with an auction seller. Maybe its just my perspective from down here in extreme poverty, but five hundred bucks is a lot of money, and I have no way to verify that what the seller is telling me is true. Its not a question of whether your lens is worth $500, Moose, but rather how would you have felt if the lens turned out not to be as described, or arrived damaged and the seller told you to file an insurance claim with the post office?