Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:14:08 -0700
on 10/12/03 7:13 PM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile at fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> A few days ago I found a 100/2 with some deep scratches on its front
> element. It seemed that El Zorro had left his mark there, I had the faint
> impression it had been done on purpose. Or was it me that felt so angry?
> Anyway, the man was asking about USD 125 for it and besides the aperture
> ring needed service since changing from /2 to /2.8 wasn't smooth at all.
> I thought he was crazy, but perhaps it's worth its asking price 'though it
> has no caps nor case. OTOH I'm very reluctant to buy it even at half its
> asking price....
>

> Fernando

The first thing to find out is how much a replacement element is if one is
available.

When I bought my 24-Shift it had a large scratch in the front element, which
did affect the pictures, causing a spot of fuzzy image in a particular
location (which moved around with the shifting...). Olympus Japan did have
the front element, which I have heard now is NLA, and they were able to
replace the front element and CLA the lens for about $460 including all
shipping, etc. Since I spent ~$660 for this lens, an OM-4 with Winder 2, and
a 50-250/5.0 Zuiko (everything else was in good shape) I think this turned
out to be overall a good deal...

For a 100/2.0, if you can buy it for $125 and get it fixed for less than
$150 or so, you're looking at a good deal overall. But I'd check the parts
availability first, if you can.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...