[OM] Re: 35mm shift

Subject: [OM] Re: 35mm shift
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:34:39 +0200
Hi guys,

>       Sounds like a great trip and I look forward to seeing some of your
> scanned images. Regarding the 35 Shift: mind you I've never actually used
> one of these lenses, but according to the Unofficial OM Sales Info File, the
> 35 Shift has a practical field of view of 83 degrees which is more akin to a
> 24mm lens instead of the usual 63 degree field of view of a typical 35mm
> lens. You may find it more to your satisfaction than you realise. Another
> plus, it's about one third the cost of the rare and lofty 24 Shift.

This mail has been answered several times already, and it sparked *the* typical
discussion again.  Thanks for copying me, and others, verbatim several tens of
times.  I didn't think I deserved that honour !

I've played around with both 35 and 24mm shift at Iwert's place (thx again),
and what I know is that a 35mm shift is something that gives me the image of a
35mm lens, but it happens to move in all directions a bit, except for
back&forth, but I can unscrew the lens for that.  I'm not even losing auto
diaphragm with it :-)

Looking at some of Iwert's very nice wooden cupboards from the side, comparing
the 24 to the 35, I know I want the 24mm, and I *know* that during the first
trip I'll come back with a front glass that looks like it went through a sand
storm :-(  Maybe I should take more care of my lenses, or get any job that
allows me to buy another one every semester.  Suggestions ?

Funny thing about the lens and its reputation is, I was warned of photographic
experience before having put my hands on one.  It's supposed to be used on a
tripod, and the lock-diaphragm takes some getting used to, and the whole
composition process takes more time.  Having had the experience now, and having
had to work without one while knowing first-hand what it is, I don't think it's
all that bad.  Working with my 28/2.8, I work in the same way, except I don't
actually shift the lens, and I don't need to press the fiddly button before the
big button.  A shift lens somehow feels like a very natural addition to the
photographic experience.

Take care,

Peter.