Re: [OM] If you could...

Subject: Re: [OM] If you could...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:31:51 -0700
I've been reading the replies with some interest. The one thing I would be clear about, but don't know from AG's description is hwesther requirements. I just wouldn't be happy spending 2 months of the year where it gets cold and snows seriously.

About the problem of being gone for months, what about a condo with security?

Another place to check out for me would be Chattanooga. A decent sized city in Tennessee on 2 Interstates. It's a really pretty place with the big loop of the Tennessee River and the big river bluffs (they call them mountains). You can live in any of 3 states and still be nearby. Really cheap gas over the Georgia line for the monster. Much nicer locale than Knoxville and with better infrastructure and Interstate access than far East Tenn. I don't think they grow corn in any quantity there either. Housing seemed really cheap to me, but I live in the Bay Area, not Iowa, so my view may be different. Grrrreat BBQ, I swear better than Memphis.

Another really cool area is the 'Sky Islands' of SE and S Central Arizona. Beautiful country and pretty good climate at the right altitude, but can get pretty wintry some years. Not much canoeing without wheels. :-) If you get too far East, it's a couple of hours to Tuscon.

Moose

Walt Wayman wrote:

Ah, but it's not North Carolina; it's Tennessee. Which means no income tax (at least not yet, and Tennessee is one of the few states currently operating with a surplus) and reasonable property taxes ($2.15 per $100 of 25% assessment). The sales tax is a little steep at 9.25%. And you're about 30 minutes away from I-75 when you want to go north or south, or 40 minutes from I-40 if your destination is east or west.