Re: [OM] OT photo ops

Subject: Re: [OM] OT photo ops
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:42:43 +0100
<snip>
"Three of the five Concordes still flying are to be given permanent
retirement homes overseas under plans drawn up by British Airways.

"Two of the aircraft will be based in the United States, at the Intrepid Air
and Space Museum in New York and the Seattle Museum of Flight.

"Another will go to Barbados. It does not have an aviation museum, but a
local businessman plans to build one at the island's airport."
</snip>

What is annoying me more than anything else is the way this has been done. I
wasn't around when all the concordes started, but my understanding of it is
this :

When British Airways were given, yes that's GIVEN, the fleet of Concorde's
by the government (who paid for them), it was with the agreement that if
they were to stop the service then they MUST sell the fleet to any
interested party for the fee of 1GBP (yes ONE GBP !) for the purposes of
continuing the Concorde service.  Now granted, the person buying the fleet
would have some very large costs to keep the service going, but a certain
enterprising individual here did actually make the bid.  His reasoning being
that it would make good business sense, and keep a spectacular piece of
engineering in the air.

Why has this agreement between BA and the government been so swiftly swept
under the carpet and ignored ?  I don't know, but given the way things have
been going with our current leadership over the last few years - frankly it
doesn't surprise me.

I'm still hopeful that someone who wants to continue to run the service will
be given the opportunity.

Rant over.  Sorry.  I really must finish my web-page, then I can vent there
!! (There is a "rant-of-the-day" page in the making .... !).  Can I join the
curmudgeon club ? Please ?!!

Jon