Re: [OM] OT photo ops

Subject: Re: [OM] OT photo ops
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:49:49 +0100
Airbus have the type certificate, and have given notice of their withdrawal
from supporting the aircraft. Without their active support, the type
certificate is revolked, and the individual certificates of airworthiness of
the aircraft themselves are worthless.
This is what grounded the BA fleet in 2000. Air France persuaded the GCAC
(french equivalent of the CAA / FAA) to revolke the type certificate (it's
the aircraft, not our crappy maintenance or poor runway inspection regime
that's to blame), so BA had no choice, despite not sharing the risks (better
tyres - Dunlops - and not retreads like the AF ones). The GCAC then insisted
on armour - plating of the tanks and the fitting of Michelin (oh where to
they come from?) tyres before restoring the cert.
BA are trying to get the type Cert transferred to its own maintenance
organisation so that they can keep one bird flying (no passengers though).

Julian