Re: [OM] OT: Happy Thanksgiving

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Happy Thanksgiving
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:51:12 -0300
on 15/10/2003 20:53, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have to add Holly Cole too (Nova Scotia to Toronto). A first class
> Jazz+ singer, but what really knocks me out is Temptation, her album of
> covers of Tom Waits songs. The only thing weird about it is the bass,
> which is up so high that I turn my subwoofers down or off for her albums.
>
> Moose
That's always difficult, having the right amount of bass. In fact, room
acoustics is always difficult and always improvable IMO.
Having a sub (two in your room? must be big indeed) adds flexibility but
arises problems on sub placement. Are they decoupled from the floor
(spikes?) Blending frequencies with main spkrs? Nodes are related to room
dimensions. Did you try inverting phase?
Some knowledgeable audiophiles (I could quote which page and number on
$tereophile) say the proper volume level of a sub is when you don't hear it.

I had trouble with bass precission with my JBLs until I finally got the
Bryston, and biwired with VDH TheWind MkII. Solved. Then put a pair of Sonex
at early reflection points. They turned out to be new speakers. No need of
Bowers and Wilkins, Wilsons, SonusFaber, Rebels, Dunlavys, Thiels, JMLabs or
anything. I still wonder about those PCMs, but since I don't have the
money...

Regarding jazz + singers, well I don't know anyone but Billie Holiday and
Cassandra Wilson (and the latter has such a vocal range that could mimic
LCohen should she wanted to, I think). Always felt curious about Tom Waits,
but my jazz venue doesn't leave me time for him. I might be losing
something, besides Carlos Gardel, Piazzola, the Freight Elevator Quartet and
Stravinsky)

You'll always have Audioasylum for sub metaphysics :-)

Happy listenning,

Fernando.