Re: [OM] OT photo ops

Subject: Re: [OM] OT photo ops
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:31:30 +0100
Looks good (the ladies seem to like it too), but it is utterly useless otherwise. Its most useful function was as the carrier of the nuclear deterrent, but that went when the SA-2 proved effective at its operational height. It was useful for the Black Buck raid during the Falklands War, demonstrating the need for long-range offensive capability coupled with an effective air-to-air refuelling fleet (it needed something like 16 aircraft: bomber, spare bombers and loads of tankers to make the 8,000 mile mission work).

For me, the sight of such a massive aircraft carrying out wingovers (Chandelles) at low level is quite stressful; it looks as if it will fall out of the sky at any second.

... and the Concorde: it is even prettier, but it is full of obsolete technology. Each engine will probably use the equivalent of a year's heating oil for 2 or 3 houses in the UK just for takeoff. I am not surprised that the cost of maintaining them would have proved prohibitive for Branson. Air France were probably carrying it out only while they were subsidised by the French Government, the EU and the British taxpayer.

Chris