Re: [OM] If you could...

Subject: Re: [OM] If you could...
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:54:18 -0400
Ken,

In comparisons with my dad (in Michigan) I think we have a lower tax rate here in NC. I would think you could find something back in the hills west of Ashville, although the further west you go the closer to Atlanta (increased $ for land) it will be. North of Ashville might be cheaper for you. If you get tight with the neighbors, they will protect the land for you while you are gone. What they (anyone) don't like is someone who comes in from "outside" and tries to tell everyone what to do or acts like a know it all. I have been down this way (east Tennessee, and North Carolina) for 16 years and really enjoy the area and people.

I remember seeing a company town in the Porcupines on our honeymoon 25 years ago that was almost deserted after the copper mines went out of the country in the late '70s. Maybe there would be a house available cheap. It was near the State Park on Lake Superior. Personally I like the Keweenaw Peninsula better, especially near Copper Harbor, although it gets lots of snow.

We lived in Laramie, Wyoming for six years and found it a great place to explore, but it is a long drive from any populated areas if your work will demand that. When we were young the elevation didn't bother us, but last time we were there we sure noticed the lack of oxygen, and had to slow down some. Winters can be brutal, and unpredictable. If you need to travel at a moments notice, it may be the wrong place to consider as the roads can be closed by the law when they feel it is advisable to do so.

gregg

Walt's idea has legs.  I love the area west of Asheville and
would actually be visitable throughout the year for a day or two
at a time.  Unfortunately, the tax structure in NC is not good.
Gotta watch out for the sounds of dueling banjos echoing through
the woods too. <g>

Somewhere around Lake Superior would be the cat's meow.  We've
talked about getting a cabin somewhere around the Porcupines for
awhile.  I absolutely love that region.  However, the problem is
that it's a full-day's drive off of I-80.