Re: [OM] Kiron 28/2: recommended!

Subject: Re: [OM] Kiron 28/2: recommended!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:51:17 -0700
I just don't think it is possible to really evaluate a lens based on 4x6 prints.

I did an experiment some time ago and posted the results, but that ISP is history, so here they are again <http://www.geocities.com/dreammoose/>. I simply took the same image and compared a 600dpi scan of the 4x6 print to a 2700dpi scan of the negative. That way, with the fact that the 4x6 crops the neg, the 2 images came very close to the same pixel density in the scans. The first image is a side by side comparisons of portions of the scans at full pixel size, about the equivalent of a 1000mm shot. The second image is a side by side comparison of the 2 full scans, reduced to reasonable size and with a box showing the location of the other images.

Vastly better everything, sharpness, detail, color saturation, tonal graduation and range, etc. on the film scan over the print scan. Looking at the print, you'd say the film has no grain, hah! The print crops a fair bit off the sides and a lot off the bottom, but not the top!

Now I think the Tamron 60-300 is a very fine lens, but I wouldn't think so based on the print.

I ain't arguing anything about the quality of the 28mm lenses you comment on, I only have one of them, a 28/2. My Tamron is 28/2.5 and I've never compared the 2. Certainly the Kiron looks excellent except at f2 on Gary's tests. If I didn't have the Zuiko, I'd consider the Kiron first.

I think the limited quality and roll to roll variability of 4x6 prints makes them poor tools for judging lens quality.

Moose

Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

The first prints from my Kiron 28/2.0 are as sharp as my Sigma 24/2.8.

This means the Kiron 28/2 is noticably sharper in 4"x6" prints (in my opinion)
than any of these I've sold off:

Tamron 28/2.8
Zuiko 28/3.5
Zuiko 28/2.0