Re: [OM] Olympus E-1 review

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-1 review
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:27:19 -0700
Well, my Can*n S110 went through a few rain showers without ill effect, until I slipped on a slippery log, almost went in a shallow part of Moosehead Lake and gave it a good knock. There was no visible ding, but the lens pointed out a a rather funny angle and the camera didn't work. I sent it to Can*n and they fixed it up fine at no charge, had it back in about 10 days. Fortunately, I had my OM-4Ti along as a backup, since I was 3,000+ miles from home. :-)

I don't really disagree with you, except perhaps at this particular time in the development of digital cameras, where the camera will be obsolescent rather soon anyway. Yes, I know the arguement that if it makes good enough images for what I need, there is no need to replace it just because new ones have more resolution and features, but I'm not sure that's how I will think when it happens.

Minsor mentioned that the E-1 Pop Photo tested was a prototype and the production ones will be better. I thought that might be the case, and certainly hope so. If Oly can't get better noise performance than the 300D with a larger sensor with less megapixels, they really don't deserve for the camera to succeed. I'm certainly not making any decision at least until fnal tests are in.

I know your experience with the E-1 is excellent and the sample pictures you have posted are excellent. On the other hand all I see are iso 100 shots from you and others. What does it look like at 400? 800? Also, of course, you presumably got yours free or cheap from Oly or can write it off as part of your pro practice, so your economics may be different than mine.

Another possibility for me is to see if the 300D puts downward pressure on prosumer DCs and pick up a Nik*n 5700, S*ny DSC-828 (8mp, 28-200/2-2.8) or some such to supplement the OMs and wait for the DSLR market to mature some more. The C-5050 doesn't have enough zoom range for me.

Moose

B. D. Colen wrote:

Putting off buying decisions for now is certainly a sensible option, but
for anyone thinking of going in now, picking a piece of junk because it
has more pixles makes little or no sense. After all, you can give you
camera an unexpected hard knock, or get caught it a rain shower, a day
after you get it - and then where are you?