Re: [OM] thinking of trading ONE OM1n for a compact RF.. ideas?

Subject: Re: [OM] thinking of trading ONE OM1n for a compact RF.. ideas?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:07:07 -0700
on 10/21/03 3:02 PM, Siddiq at iddibhai@xxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:41:06 -0700, Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> One thing to note is that a lot of the older compact RFs have relatively
>> dim viewfinders which have gotten worse with age. At the very least you
>> will probably want to have a CLA done for this reason alone.
>
> ok so that takes the rollei out, leaving really, the RD and SP olys.
> comments on those? I won't bother getting an rf unless it's had a CLA, my
> gear had it two years ago.
>

> --
> /S
> aim:iddibhai
> icq:104079359
> msidd004atstudentdotucrdotedu

Well, 35-SP is larger and heavier. The meter cell is offset from the lens,
so you have to figure filter compensation yourself, but there is a 'spot'
option. The battery is a mercury 1.35volt, or an adapter. Viewfinder shows
the desired Exposure Value (EV) in a scale across the top. You can set this
EV from a range of shutter-speed/aperture combinations, or the camera on
'Auto' will select a shutter speed -and- aperture... but its either all-auto
or all-manual. You can use the indicated EV value for a guide but the
setting will be manual if you want a specific shutter speed or aperture.

The 35-RD is probably about 1" shorter lengthwise and feels lighter as well.
The meter cell is located at the top of the lens ring, so filter
compensation is 'automatic' as the meter will read through the filter. The
shutter lacks the 1-second speed. The viewfinder meter scale shows the
desired aperture, across the bottom of the viewfinder. The meter works by
setting a shutter speed, then the camera selects the aperture (on Auto) or
you can view the scene, see what aperture is indicated, and then set
whatever aperture you want manually (e.g. for backlight compensation or snow
scenes, etc.) The battery is a mercury 1.35volt or the adapter.

Were I to get either one of these for current usage, I'd be inclined to have
a diode added in-circuit as part of the CLA... although that's not the
perfect solution. I suspect that if you cover the meter cell (35-RD) or keep
the camera closed in the ER case (35-SP) you could get pretty good battery
life out of a 1.4volt hearing-aid zinc-air battery as well. Costwise the
35-SP seems to go around $85-125 on e*ay, the 35-RD in the $100-175 range
(but that depends on the working condition, many 35-RD's are listed with
'sticky shutter' which would require a CLA but might lower the price some.)
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...