Re: [OM] yashica lynx, was Oly RD/SP etc

Subject: Re: [OM] yashica lynx, was Oly RD/SP etc
From: bill latham <to_gishi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All

Just my perspective on a couple of rfs from the 70's
that might be interesting. - I've rebuilt quite a few
and done some research on others.

The G III is quite nice, good lens, quite a bit over
engineered- shutter design too complex - a stuck self
timer can make the camera unrepairable as it is the
last ting left when disassembling the shutter.  Photos
great as snapshots, although Dante Stella did a
contest with G IIIs only and got some great entries. A
bit over priced now, considering the quantity made.

http://www.dantestella.com/

Konica Auto S2- Great lens, has been compared to the
Leica 50mm equivalent, some say superior in bokeh.
Longer rf base focusing distance, camera is about the
size of an M series Leica. Shutter speed 1 second to
1/500, f 1.8 to f16.  Trap needle auto exposure, not
fancy but usually works, average metering accuracy.
1960's level build quality, which is to say, a
different level than anything from the 70's excepting
the Olys (looks fabulous in black with an added hot
shoe) Avoid the Auto S 1.6, faster with hot shoe, lens
is inferior.

Konica S3- Excellent lens, 38mm, 1.8, limited speed,
however and auto everything.  A slightly above
standard construction, but if the meter's gone, so is
the camera.  I sold one of these to a photojournalist
in Paris.  It was the only camera he would consider to
back up his M7 Leica.

Minolta HiMatic E - Good lens, corrosion can kill an
other wise good camera.  Used discontinued batteries,
the 540s which were know for leaking into everything.
Auto everything, but good exposure system that usually
worked.  Lots of  fervent users swear by these.

Yashica- I've worked on a 5000, not too impressed, but
try this reference

 http://www.yashica-guy.com/

for a full history with accolades.

Soviet cameras

I've got two FED 2s they have the longer Contax rf
base, with a Leica style cloth fp shutter.  Build
quality - depends on luck, and it seems paying a
higher price or the sellers past trading history does
not 't insure success.  Lots of fun, especially with
the collapsible 50mm, shades of Cartier Bresson- get
ready for the "Leica" reload adventure.  I wouldn't
depend on any of the Soviets for a must do job.
Meters = hand held.

Wow, looks like I had too much Starbucks this morning.
 Hope this helps.

Bill L

, auto flash compensation