Re: [OM] [OT] film quest

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] film quest
From: reganconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:25:24 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Cc: alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx
Boris, I would agree, to some extent, that its hard to give a definite answer
since some film is better for some things than others.  There are also issues
of personal preference.

I've heard really good things about the Velvia 100 and shot my first roll of it
a couple weekends ago.  I was pleased with the color saturation I got, which
was one of the things I wasn't happy about with other film.  I think you'll
really like it for shooting landscapes.  Some people think its too "warm" for
portraits.  It does have excellent grain characteristics, though, finer than
nearly anything on the market including the Velvia 50 from what I've read.  But
whether that's good or bad depends on your image.  Sometimes you want that
grainy Tri-X look, sometimes not.

Print film doesn't have "better" tonal range and exposure latitude -- just
wider.  Mainly this means that if you use slide film you have to get the
exposure spot-on (for whatever you want your shot to look like).  In my
personal experience, I get more saturated colors from slide film than print -
and I like this better.  Some people don't like saturated color, and for some
things, it really doesn't work.