Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT getting ripped off on *bay

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT getting ripped off on *bay
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:32:08 +1000

> A lot of stuff on EB*Y is stolen and you have no way of
> knowing. I bought a camera from a guy and it didn't work. I

I guess this is the appropriate time to recount the story of my stolen
OM gear !

On 25th June a lot of my gear was stolen from my house (roughly 5
bodies, 8 lenses), the day after I was contacted by a bloke who had
found about 2/3 of the gear in a railway station car park (got my
telephone number from a tag on the camera bag), so I had most of the
stuff back, but some was a little damaged and one item (M18V control
grip) had been run over by several cars as far as I could tell.  Then
about 6 weeks ago an OM-4 and a 21/3.5 appeared together on Oz ebay
(mine hadn't been recovered), I checked the s/n of the 21/3.5 from the
auction image and it matched mine up to the last digit which I couldn't
read.  I emailed the seller to get the s/n of the body and it was mine.
The seller answered my email with his full real name, so I was able to
look it up in the telephone directory and get his address.  I contacted
the local police with details and put in ridiculously high bids on the
OM-4 and 21 just so that I wouldn't have to chase other people if the
auction closed before the police caught up with the seller.  The police
visited the seller the day before the auction closed and took possession
of the OM-4 & 21.  It turns out the seller had bought the 4/21 package
from a Cash Converters for $AU270 (bargain).  The police then visited
the CCs and put a hold on most of my other gear (which hadn't made it on
display to be sold), they then got the name and address of the bloke who
had sold the gear to CCs and have recovered the remainder of the gear.
I think I'll get to see the gear in about 3 weeks after which time the
insurance company will decide what to do with it (probably offer it to
me at some price).  At this stage the insurance claim has been paid and
I have replaced most of the gear stolen.  I'm hoping to have the whole
episode settled by Christmas !

...Wayne