Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT another *bay gripe

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT another *bay gripe
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:01:22 +0100
Seems to be the time to generally complain about auctioning, so...

I won an auction recently for a 24mm/2.8 lens at a reasonable price. Auction ended around 3pm UK time on Sunday. I was busy so planned to settle up on Monday. Woke up on Monday morning to find a string of emails sent during my night (Florida based seller knew I am in the UK) finishing with the news that he had sold it to the second highest bidder. I mailed to say that I had won and wanted to complete. He replied with "go ahead and leave negative feedback and I will too". Now I remember someone saying that in this situation all that would happen is that ebay would remove the feedback from both sides. Thinking about it I don't think I've seen anyone with negative feedback; most of the big sellers have the 98.6 percent type positive and it strikes me that this is how they do it - they respond to negative feedback with the same and both then get removed and their record is untarnished. So am I right in thinking a good feedback record is no indication of a good auction history? I searched through the ebay site to try and mail them on this and couldn't find an address - guess they don't care to interact with users.

James

FYI the seller's name is Patrick and email address is Photohog64@xxxxxxx.