Re: [OM] A Trip to the Reef

Subject: Re: [OM] A Trip to the Reef
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:38:06 -0700

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 02:27 PM, John Wheeler wrote:

My wife Helen and I just got back from ten days in Cairns, FNQ (that's Far North Queensland,Oz) where we did all the touristy stuff including spending
time out on the outer reef (the Great Barrier Reef, that is). They have
these semi-submersible boats where you can sit down behind glass several metres below the surface and enjoy the passing panorama of sea, fish, and
coral etc. I had my OM's and Epic with me and tried to capture some
underwater images. Less than satisfactory with the results being very murky. When shooting through the glass I used a polariser which seemed to banish reflections but I found that the prints bore only a passing resemblence to
what we'd actually seen.

Isn't that where all those giant sea going crocodiles are supposed to hang out? Brave person.

I imagine they use the same plastic for windows in the boats that are used in my local aquarium. Unless you are looking exactly perpendicular to the surface everything is blurred and color fringed. Miserable for photography.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA