Re: [OM] OT Closer... Velvia 50 revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Closer... Velvia 50 revisited
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:54:42 -0700 (PDT)
>What is "pepper grains"?

There is at least 50 explanations for this, but I'll give my
*OPINION*.  Feel free to disagree.

Velvia and Provia have a lightly frosted base to make them more
scannable.  For scanning it does help to have some form of base
density.

The scanned slide will have dirt specks show up even though the
slide is absolutely clean. One theory is bubbles.  My theory is
that the "frosted" layer is actually anguler imperfections in
the surface causing an altered lightpath.  In otherwords, the
columinated light source is refracted from it's normal
destination of the sensor causeing dark spots. The film IS
transparant, but the light is being redirected.

AG-Schnozz