Re: [OM] First roll w/ E-6 @ home

Subject: Re: [OM] First roll w/ E-6 @ home
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:04:49 -0700

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 09:15 PM, Walt Wayman wrote:

Or maybe it means this (which comes from World Wide Words):

"Well-heeled never had anything to do with people being well shod
(so it has no link with down at heel). The original expression
came from cock-fighting, and meant to provide one’s bird with
good, sharp spurs (considered, it would seem, as a kind of
artificial heel) that would inflict the most damage. It was taken
over into American usage in frontier days to mean that one was
likewise carrying a weapon, but in the more modern sense of a gun
(the first recorded use is from a story of Mark Twain’s dated
1866). Only later did it transfer its meaning to being armed with
a more powerful weapon still: money."

Walt

__
After this I had to look around and it looks as if you may be right though my dictionary which does not give its origins said that it came into use 1895-1900. I found it online. Interestingly it is not in my compact OED. Very American.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA