Re: [OM] Scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanners
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:04:28 -0700
on 10/24/03 12:36 PM, Earl Dunbar at edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This may have been covered before I joined the list; if so, sorry, and feel
> free to reply off list.
>
> I foresee myself continuing to mostly shoot film rather than digital for some
> time, not unlike a lot of others here.  So, what scanners are people using,
> recommend, etc.?  My requirements are mostly for 35mm, BUT I do have a need
> for up to 4x5 scans.  I suppose my 2-1/4 and 4x5 material could be jobbed out,
> but then I'm forced to find a good service for that, not to mention the
> relative cost vs. just buying a 4x5-capable scanner and doing it inhouse.
>
> Should I be looking at two scanners, one optimized for 35mm and one for
> larger?  Assuming that scanners capable of the larger formats are going to be
> much more expensive, what is the advisability of buying used?
>
> My use of the scanned images would be:
> Web gallery
> Prints up to 16x20
> TIA,
>
> Earl

Earl - I'm heading in the same direction as you. I bought a 35mm dedicated
film scanner (Polariod SprintScan 4000) for the 35mm film.

When I get the chance and when I start doing larger format (2-1/4 most
likely) I anticipate wanting to get a film-capable flatbed scanner with
decent resolution.

As recently as a couple years ago these topped out at 1200dpi, which isn't
enough really, but now there are some with promoted resolution of up to
2400dpi or even higher. I don't think the results with the
negative/transparency adapter and flatbed are as good as a true film
scanner, but a film scanner capable of 2-1/4 formats cost much more than
-both- a good 35mm dedicated and the flat-beds.

The recently introduced Minolta Dimage III (I think that is the model) has
gotten very good reports and goes for about $300 or so. Add the 2400dpi+
transparency-capable flatbed (Epson and Canon, at least, make them I
think)for another $300-$400 and you are still only about half the cost of a
2-1/4 capable film scanner... and the flatbeds can handle in some cases up
to 4x5 or larger (or more than one 2-1/4 at a time).
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...